Supported Alexa Commands for EXP
In Alexa, voice commands are routed to different "skills". For example, music, news, games and entertainment are all examples of various Alexa skills or commands categories. There is also a specific "TiVo skill" for Alexa.
In order to give "focus" to TiVo and control your EXP device, you may need to add "[Device Name]" or "on TiVo" when saying an Alexa command. This will make Alexa aware the EXP device is being used. Below are some examples.
- "Alexa, pause in Living Room" or "Alexa, pause on TiVo" will give you focus to TiVo and tell Alexa to pause TV
- "Alexa, watch CBS in Living Room" will change the channel to CBS on EXP
The EXP device name that displays in the Alexa app can be changed directly through the EXP device by selecting the following remote-control options:
- TiVo Experience 4: Menu > Settings > Remote, Cable Card, & Devices > TiVo Box Name
- TiVo Experience 3: Settings & Messages > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > TiVo Box Name
Additionally, if there has been no Alexa activity on the EXP device for approximately 90 minutes, the TiVo skill will lose focus and timeout. This can happen from watching a long show or movie. In order to focus back to TiVo so Alexa knows you want to control the EXP device, you will need to add "[Device Name]" or "TiVo" to the command.
If TiVo loses focus, it can be regained by
- Adding "TiVo" to the command
- Pressing a remote-control key
For your convience, we have added some popular Alexa commands below.
- "Alexa, fast forward" - TV will fast forward. 2x and 3x fast forward can be accomplished by repeating "Alexa Fast Forward" again
- "Alexa, pause" - Pauses TV
- "Alexa, previous" - Similar to pressing the TiVo replay button
- "Alexa, next" - 30 second advance
- "Alexa, watch CBS" - To make channel tuning by name work, users MUST set up the zip code for the Alexa device
- "Alexa, change the channel to 108" - Will change the channel to 108
Opening User Interface Screens/Video Screens
- "Alexa, go to Home" - Opens the home screen
- "Alexa, go to Guide" - Opens the guide
- "Alexa, go to Settings" - Opens the settings menu
- "Alexa, launch HBO GO - Opens HBO GO"
- "Alexa, launch Hulu" - Opens Hulu
- "Alexa, launch iHeartRadio" - Opens iHeartRadio
- "Alexa, launch Netflix" - Opens Netflix
- "Alexa, launch Pandora" - Opens Pandora
- "Alexa, launch Yahoo" - Opens Yahoo
- "Alexa, launch YouTube" - Opens YouTube
Toon Goggles is not currently supported in Alexa.